"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Detroit is Dead

Or close to it.   John Fund has a disturbing and depressing report about "America's Suicidal Cities" at NRO, including these two sentences which rank among the saddest I've read in a long time:

Once the fourth-largest city in the country, Detroit’s population has dropped by almost 30 percent since 2000 to below 700,000. Its vacant lots cover more land than the entire city of Paris.

If you wanted to conduct a laboratory experiment on what happens when a city has one-party rule by liberal Democrats, you wouldn't have to.   It's already been done.   It's called Detroit.   And here is what it looks like:






















The squandered resources, the squandered hopes, the squandered human beings.

Like I said:  sad, sad, sad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment