"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Every Day In Every Speech

If I were leading the Republican Party in the Senate or House, I would make sure that, every day in every speech, Republicans in Congress were citing and quoting and reading into the record the following quote from 2006, when the debt ceiling was less than $10 trillion:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. . . . It is a sign that the U.S. government can't pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our government's reckless fiscal policies. … Leadership means that 'the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit."

Barack Obama's own words, in 2006.   We should make him eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment