"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, November 14, 2011

Justin Timberlake, Good Guy


Justin Timberlake would not normally be my cup of tea.   I've never listened to a single song of his.   But I have noticed that he's very funny when he hosts Saturday Night Live, and I've generally thought that a good sense of humor and comic timing is a sign of high intelligence.   Now it turns out that he's actually a really good guy too.   Here's his blog post about his date at the Marine Corps Ball, which reflects his high and (I think) sincere appreciation for our servicemen and women.

We all have our own individual views on war... But, doesn't that speak to just another thing that makes this country so special?? The fact that we can all wake up every morning and BE individual with a pure sense of freedom..? But, one thing that can't be argued is that it's because of the people who VOLUNTEER their lives to make sure that it's protected at all times. And, like I said before, doing so while asking for nothing in return...


To all of you that serve every day for us... Ensuring our freedom, I say: My deepest gratitude to you. I've met so many of my heroes... From Michael Jordan to Michael Jackson. And, nothing makes me feel more honor and pride than when I get to meet one of you. Last night changed my life and I will never forget it.


To people like me who get to benefit from this type of person... One with character and courage. With strength and bravery. With humility and honor... I say: Send your thanks. Do it however you can. Write a letter, type an email... Hell, buy 'em a beer next time you run into someone from our Armed Forces in a bar. When they say thank you for that drink that cost you 3 bucks, they'll mean it. They won't take it for granted and, they won't forget it.


Thank you Corporal Kelsey DeSantis. Thank you for inviting me. And, thank you for being my hero.

Good stuff.   And, since it's not that well written, I'm pretty sure it's the real stuff, and not a press release.  

No comments:

Post a Comment