"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Girl of the Day - Emmy Rossum

The Regular Wife and I have begun watching Showtime's new show Shameless on streaming video (which is the best way to watch series television... you curl up with a glass of wine and cuddle up to watch your laptop).    Anyway, the star of the show is William Macy as the drunk father Frank, but the real star to me anyway is the oldest child, Fiona, who holds the family of six children together.   She's played by the lovely Emmy Rossum.

I'm not sure whether we like the show much... there's a lot of gratuitous sex that is unnecessary, as if shocking the bourgeoisie is the point, rather than telling the story.  And some of it is unbelievable, like the eldest son who is a petty thief, but also happens to get straight A grades in high school physics and calculus.   I'm thinking that doesn't happen that often.   But Rossum is terrific, and I think will have a bright future regardless.

And, well, she has other attributes too:

No comments:

Post a Comment