"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, November 18, 2011

Gingrich in Bloom


How can it be that Newt Gingrich is the front runner in Iowa?   How did this happen?   How did we get here?  

I wish Gingrich were our Churchill, back from the wilderness years, ready to take command at his country's moment of peril.   But I'm not sure.   I can't help thinking that, whatever his merits, he is so loathed by the left-wing elites in the media that any demogoguery against him will be aired and given credibility by a media eager to destroy him.   And so, while Obama must be thrown out of office, lest the country be lost, my fear is that the Republicans will find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment