"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

This Is What We've Come To

The Majority Leader of the United States Senate, Harry Reid, had this to say today:

Saying he had “no problem with somebody being really, really wealthy,” Reid sat up in his chair a bit before stirring the pot further. A month or so ago, he said, a person who had invested with Bain Capital called his office.

“Harry, he didn’t pay any taxes for 10 years,” Reid recounted the person as saying.

“He didn’t pay taxes for 10 years! Now, do I know that that’s true? Well, I’m not certain,” said Reid. “But obviously he can’t release those tax returns. How would it look?"


I repeat:   the Majority Leader of the United States Senate.   Who, by the way, hasn't beaten his wife for ten years.   How do I know?   Some anonymous guy told me.   Do I know that it's true that he hasn't beaten his wife for ten years?   Well, I'm not certain.  

Soon, God willing, to be the Minority Leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment