"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Double Standards at the Olympics

A Swiss soccer player has just been sent home for tweeting a marginally racist message about the South Korean soccer team.   (By the way, we are reaching the point where the twin pillars of youth communication in the Internet age -- snarkiness and political correctness -- are coming almost daily into conflict in the ethersphere of Twitter and Facebook.   You can't be edgy and transgressive and, at the same time, observe all of the proprieties modern liberalism demands.)

Earlier, a Greek athlete was sent home for a marginally racist tweet too.

Meanwhile, the Lebanese judo team can, with impunity, refuse to practice in the same gym with Israelis.   And the IOC refuses to give a moment of silence in memory of the Israeli athletes slain at the 1972 Olympics.  

I'd say "Shame!" but no one would listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment