"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, July 30, 2012

Girl of the Day - Nyree Dawn Porter

An actress of whom I had never heard, Nyree Dawn Porter, played the character of Irene in the 1967 BBC series The Forsyte Saga, which the Regular Family is watching.   It's awesome... just a step below I, Claudius and Brideshead Revisited, but just as good as Upstairs, Downstairs.   Irene is the cold fish wife of the colder, fishier lawyer Soames Forsyte.   This is not a still from the late Victorian Era show, needless to say.

1 comment:

  1. Nyree Dawn Porter caught my eye with the British series she did alongside Robert "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." Vaughn, "The Protectors". She grew to be quite the attractive woman, and played a sort of trouble shooter ala the various female leads on "The Avengers". (In fact she was up for the role of Emma Peel in that series before Diana Rigg landed it.) Some day I intend on watching the entire Forsyte Saga- for her and because I have heard so much about it since it came out (...I was 13 at the time- not so muh into such fare then!). Thanks for the cool pic of the earlier Ms. Porter, may she RIP.
    -BP

    ReplyDelete