"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Girl of the Day - Lana Turner

It's Lana Turner's birthday.   Born in 1920, Turner was one of the great names of Hollywood, so much so that you maybe have always thought she was a bigger star than she actually was.   In reality, she was nominated for one Academy Award (for Peyton Place) and didn't win.   Her best films were The Postman Always Rings Twice, The Bad and the Beautiful (with Kirk Douglas), and Imitation of Life, but looking at the list, none of them would qualify as "great" movies.   A beautiful gal, who had something of a tough life, including a spectacular scandal when her daughter murdered Turner's gangster lover, Johnny Stompanato, in 1957 in self-defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment