"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, February 24, 2012

File This Under "What if He Had Said This About Muslims?"

Charles Blow of the New York Times tweeted during the Wednesday night GOP debate about Mitt Romney.   Apparently angry at Romney's comments on the sociological issues that come from so many single-parent families in America, Blow wrote as follows:


Now, I didn't know this, but apparently it is part of the Mormon faith to wear what they call "Temple garments," which are essentially underwear.   From what I've gleaned in a very casual moment of research, the idea is that they wear them close to their skin to remind themselves of their covenants with God.  Not unlike, say, a yarmulke for Jewish men, or a burkha for Muslim women.  

But can you imagine if, say, a commentator on Fox News had said something with the exact same grammatical structure about a Muslim:

"Stick that in your burkha!"

Or to a Jew:

"Put that in your yarmulke!"

You can't.

If we were Democrats, and if Charles Blow was a Republican, we'd be outside the NYT building chanting, "Charles Blow, Has Got to Go!"   But we don't do that sort of thing.   And so the parade of double standards continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment