"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, February 13, 2012

Girl of the Day - Kim Novak

The local bijou has a Saturday matinee program showing classic movies on the big screen.   Last weekend it was West Side Story.   In a couple of weeks they are playing Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo (they previously showed Rear Window, another classic James Stewart vehicle.   The love interest in Vertigo is Kim Novak, and while she's not Grace Kelly (who is?), she was almost an archetype of the 1950s bombshell (recalling her dance scene from the great William Holden movie, Picnic).




Born on February 13, 1933, Novak is still around and kicking at age 79.   She's been married to a veterinarian for 36 years, and lives on ranch, raising horses and llamas.   It's nice to report -- with Whitney Houston in the news -- on a Hollywood starlet who ended up living a normal and useful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment