"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Birthday Today - Jack Benny

Jack Benny was born today in 1894.   When radio was king, Benny was the King of Radio.   With such a fragmented culture -- don't believe it?  try looking at the list of names of the Top 10 selling albums -- it's amazing to consider a time when literally everyone sat down at the same time to listen to a radio show.   That's what Jack Benny was like.   Even as a kid in the 1960s, I knew the name of Jack Benny.   How many kids under 10 today would know the name of a TV star from the 1980s -- Alan Alda, say, or Ted Danson, or Tony Danza?  

Just listen:

No comments:

Post a Comment