"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Unforced Errors

I've taken a look at the cliche-ridden festival of banality that is the Democratic Party's platform.   It's filled with what Orwell would have called "dying metaphors" and "meaningless words."   So what would it have mattered if they had included a few references to God?   But they chose to leave out all such references, presumably on purpose, and thus to offend the majority of Americans who are believers.    Are they brain dead?   Do they finally not care whether they win this election or not?

On the other hand, they also chose to leave out reference to Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and to insert language supporting government-funding of abortion.   So maybe they've figured that, if people are going to believe that they are hard-leftists (which they are), they might as well be true to themselves in their platform.  

God is dead.
Jews will be dead.
Babies ought to be dead.
The modern Democratic Party.  

No comments:

Post a Comment