"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, September 10, 2012

Myths

A five second glance at the news headlines suggest that many Americans, including most Democrats, exist in a cocoon of false ideas, myths that they have been told by the media and by their leaders that simply aren't true.   Consider just these stories from today:

1.  GM loses $49,000 on every Chevy Volt.   Yet people believe the myth that Obama "saved" the auto industry and that "green" cars are the future.

2. Chicago teachers strike.   Because a 16% raise over four years wasn't enough for them.   Yet people believe the myth that public school teachers are in it "for the children."

3. Obama befuddled by iPhone.   Yet people still believe he is the smartest President evah!

No comments:

Post a Comment