"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Girl of the Day - Michelle Williams

The Academy Award nominations are out.   For Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor, I think there's no doubt in my mind that The Artist will sweep.   There's an outside chance that George Clooney has enough pull as a heavy hitter in Hollywood to get Best Actor for The Descendants, but he won't deserve it -- Jean Dujardin deserves it, period.   (The only performance I haven't seen is Demián Bichir in A Better Life.)

For Best Actress, I frankly haven't seen the movies, so it's hard for me to guess who will win, but I hope it won't be Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady, because I don't like what I've heard about the film's treatment of Margaret Thatcher's Alzheimer's.   If I had to bet, I'd bet on Michelle Williams playing Marilyn Monroe as the type of biographical role that the Academy will like:


Still, not as good as the original:


No comments:

Post a Comment