"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, January 6, 2012

Girl of the Day - The Downton Abbey Girls

The Regular Wife and I are starting our countdown to Downton Abbey by re-watching the first season.   It's as wonderful as I remembered -- especially the wounded soul, Mr. Bates, who comes to Downton to be the valet to the master of the house, the Earl of Grantham, Robert Crawley.   He might be my favorite character on TV right now.

Anyway, it seems an appropriate time to highlight the three sisters of the house -- no sons, the estate's entailed, much as in Pride and Prejudice... you get the picture.

First, there's the eldest, beautiful sister, Mary, played by Michelle Dockery:




Next, there's the somewhat plain sister, Edith, played by Laura Carmichael:



Finally, there's the somewhat wild, liberal suffragette youngest sister, played by Jessica Brown-Findlay:



We.   Can't.   Wait.

***

P.S.   Here they are in civvies:


No comments:

Post a Comment