"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Obamacare and Occam's Razor

When we look at the scope of the Obamacare rollout debacle, it's easy to fall into conspiracy theories.   Here are three making the rounds:

  1. It was designed to fail so that Democrats could usher in single-payer.
  2. The real goal of Obamacare, like other Democratic policies, is providing opportunities for graft and corruption and cronyism.
  3. Obamacare was just a surreptitious voter fraud/voter registration plan to keep Democrats in power forever.

But, when in doubt, Occam's Razor remains the most useful tool in analyzing politics.   Why is Obamacare failing so badly?

Because its authors just aren't that smart, or organized, or hard-working, or detail-oriented.  

They've never done anything in their lives like run a business where accomplishment actually mattered more than bullshit.

They've been lawyers, or academics, or politicans.

They are, in short, the apotheosis of the post-1960s graduate student mentality... they don't actually have any skills... other than changing the world.

































UPDATE:   Exhibit A for the proposition that they're just not that smart:

Biden said he and Obama were under the impression the site was ready. 
"Neither he or I are technology geeks and we assumed it was up and ready to run," he told HLN. 
He said he's confident it will work by the end of November and that there will be plenty of time for people to enroll. 
When asked why it will still take a month for the the glitches to be fixed, Biden didn't have an answer. 
"I don't know the technical reasons," he said. "I don't know, I wish I could tell you. that's why I became a lawyer."






 

No comments:

Post a Comment