"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, October 10, 2013

How to Turn Blue to Red

OK, so maybe these folks really won't become Republican voters.   For some people (maybe most people), their political party is like their baseball team... they grew up rooting for Democrats or rooting for Republicans, and they viscerally can't switch, no matter whether the other team is better, or whether their own interests have changed.   But you have to admit that the sense of these folks in California being shocked-shocked by the increase in their insurance premiums under the Obamacare regime is funny-sad:
"I was laughing at Boehner -- until the mail came today," Waschura said, referring to House Speaker John Boehner, who is leading the Republican charge to defund Obamacare.
"I really don't like the Republican tactics, but at least now I can understand why they are so pissed about this. When you take $10,000 out of my family's pocket each year, that's otherwise disposable income or retirement savings that will not be going into our local economy."
Both Vinson and Waschura have adjusted gross incomes greater than four times the federal poverty level -- the cutoff for a tax credit. And while both said they anticipated their rates would go up, they didn't realize they would rise so much.
"Of course, I want people to have health care," Vinson said. "I just didn't realize I would be the one who was going to pay for it personally."
So you thought the Republicans were laughable and you didn't like them... they were the bad guys and they were stupid, just like your liberal friends had told you for your entire life... right up to the point where you found out they were right and your premiums were really going to go up.   You were OK with it so long as it was other people's money, but when your ox is going to be gored... hey, that's unfair!  

Who's crying now?

Well, as a matter of fact, we all are.

No comments:

Post a Comment