"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Freudian Slip Presidency

There are many examples of President Obama's tendency to let his mask slip so that we can see the totalitarian mind underneath his democratic veneer.   Here's another from yesterday:

The president dismissed gun owners’ concerns that gun control legislation could be a stepping stone to gun confiscation in the U.S., saying “I am constrained by a system our founders put in place.”
 
That's not how a President should talk about Constitutional guarantees of individual liberties in the Bill of Rights.   What he ought to have said is, "Your rights to bear arms are protected by the Constitution, and I have sworn an oath to protect them."   The rhetoric of "constraint" is negative, as if he is saying, "it would be great if I didn't have these pesky Constitutional constraints, but I do, so I can't do what I would like to do... confiscate your guns."

Oh, and by the way:

I, I, I, I, me, me, me, me. 

L'etat, c'est moi!

No comments:

Post a Comment