"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Thatcher on the Good Life and How to Live It

What Thatcher knew, what Reagan knew,what the Regular Guy's dad knew, and what all common-sensical regular guys through time immemorial have known, is that living a good life isn't rocket science.   Here's how Margaret Thatcher described it:

"My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day's work for an honest day's pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police."
 
Anybody really believe that American wouldn't be a better place if we all thought like this?   Instead we have a nation of disability scammers and assorted layabouts; a nation of borrowers, buying ephemeral pleasures today while impoverishing our children and our children's children; a nation of defaulters; a nation of scofflaws.  

No comments:

Post a Comment