"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Life Goes On

A week ago I woke up enthused to go vote and hopeful that, at the end of the day, we would have a new President.   A week later I still wake up, but my focus is now on work, my wife, my kids, my personal interests.   I like the idea of not worrying about politics for awhile, although I recall the old saw that, "You may not be interested in politics, but politics is interested in you."   Have we reached a tipping point where the centrality of government in American life means that you simply can't avoid it?   Probably.   But I sometimes feel the urge to try.   If I were a hardier sort, I might retreat with some guns and canned goods into the mountains of Idaho.   But instead I'll likely retreat into books and family and everyday life. 

A wistful post for wistful times.

No comments:

Post a Comment