"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Girl of the Day - Gene Tierney







































Gene Tierney was born today in 1920.   Her greatest role was undoubtedly the 1944 movie Laura, in which she played the object of a detective's obsession as he investigates a murder.   Tierney later suffered from depression after she contracted rubella while pregnant and her daughter was born with severe mental retardation.   (As an interesting side note, Howard Hughes, Tierney's friend, paid for all of the child's medical expenses and care.)  

P.S.   I love these early color photos... for some reason the color just seems so alive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment