"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Vote for Tribe

More from Fox News' exit poll:

















This is the election when America became a tribal nation.  

What histories tell us about tribal nations isn't pretty.  
***

Re America's increasing tribalism, here's a chart from 2008 regarding the demographics of recent elections:






































I don't know what this means yet.   Obviously the percentages for minority voters increased over 2008 ,just as they had been increasing for the past 25 years.   But did they increase in absolute terms?   Or did white voters stay home?   Or a combination of the two?

With regard to the Hispanic vote, however, it's safe to say that it's changing the face of American politics rapidly.   For the GOP, what that means is that in 2012 you will hear a lot about Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz and Susana Martinez.  

No comments:

Post a Comment