"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, March 11, 2011

Sore Losers


Governor Scott Walker signed the budget repair bill that was passed yesterday by the State Assembly, after Wednesday's sudden move by the State Senate to strip out budget-related items and pass non-fiscal items (especially the limitations on public employee collective bargaining).  

It's a big win for Walker, but the Democrats are already planning a protest rally for tomorrow in Madison, recall elections for 8 of the 19 Republican State Senators, and lawsuits challenging the legality of the process that led to the passage of the bill.   We had a name for such tactics when we were kids -- we called it being a "sore loser."   But I guess accusing Democrats -- whose platform nows to be "I want my cake and I want someone else to pay for it!" -- of being infantile is pretty old hat by now.  

In this light, a remarkable statement by a Democrat State Senator in today's newspaper bears some comment.   State Senator Bob Jauch (D-Poplar) is quoted as saying "This is just the beginning.  This is the civil rights issue of this century."  

Really?   The civil rights issue of this century?  Maintaining the benefits gravy train for the mostly white, well-compensated government workers in Wisconsin is the civil rights issue of this century?   Really?    Right up there with Martin Luther King, huh?  

Have they lost all adult perspective?

No comments:

Post a Comment