"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Girl Thursday - Bernadette Peters

Bernadette Peters has been one of the great Broadway musical performers for four decades, with seven Tony nominations and two Tony Awards, the best of which were starring roles in Stephen Sondheim musicals, which for my money are the great operas of the latter part of the Twentieth Century.  Here she is, singing in concert one of the greatest Sondheim songs: 




As I always tell my children, all of whom are budding performers one way or another, the secret to singing a song is to believe the words and sing them with passion.   Peters is one of the true artists of Broadway because she always gives 100% to every song.  

No comments:

Post a Comment