"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Girl of the Day (and probably the last century) - Elizabeth Taylor

Elizabeth Taylor has died.   It's hard to overestimate her fame, or her beauty as a young woman in the 1950s, but I have always thought from afar that she must have led a sad life -- eight marriages, eight divorces, and the oddity of her later years (her friendship with Michael Jackson in his full freak mode, for instance).   She had four children, though, and ten grandchildren.   Taylor as a grandma isn't probably a role she imagined for herself, but I'd bet it was her favorite.   RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment