"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bracketer-in-Chief

Not really sure what I think about President Obama participating in the hype surrounding his NCAA basketball tournament picks.   On the one hand, it's OK for the President to take an interest in something that is a national obsession every year; it's fun; it shows him to be human (which is good); and it has a certain small-d democratizing tone, which I like in America.   He's not bigger than us, he's not better than us, he's one of us.  So far so good.

On the other hand.... Japan, Libya, the budget, the deficit, the economy.   Not sure it sends the right message to be spending much of the President's precious time on NCAA picks when the world is going to Hell in a handbasket.

For what it's worth then, here's Obama putting us some Presidential knowledge on the NCAA tournament:


No comments:

Post a Comment