"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Miracles

I happened to have a business meeting in Baltimore today, which entailed waking at 4 am, showering, dressing, driving to the airport, getting through security, flying to Baltimore, catching a cab from the airport downtown; meet; and repeat, in reverse.   I was home by 6:30 pm.  

Now, that's nothing special, of course, and lots of people have a lot more business travel than I do, but the "nothing special" is precisely my point.  We entirely take for granted our ability to fly at 500 mph across country for a meeting and fly home, safely, all the while keeping in constant contact with our families and work places through cell phones, email, text messaging, etc.  

We live in an age of miracles.   And yet we complain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment