"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Paul Ryan



I met Paul Ryan a few years ago.   I had a case in Washington and was flying home from depositions at the end of the week, and there he was, across the aisle from me, flying coach.   We had a brief, but very nice conversation about the book he was reading, Mark Steyn's America Alone.   But mostly we talked about how hard it was to be away from our kids on work too much of the time.   My takeaway:  a very smart guy who actually cares about getting the policies right, not about his own political success; and a good guy who has his priorities straight.

I couldn't be happier that Romney has picked Ryan as his running mate.   It's the bold choice, but it's also the type of choice I hope and expect Romney to make when filling out his administration -- I think Romney, unlike Obama, is secure enough that he will pick very competent, very smart men and women to surround himself with, not cronies (Valerie Jarrett) or cyphers (Joe Biden).

No comments:

Post a Comment