"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Girl of the Day - Madonna

Madonna turns 54 today.   A great American story, if you put aside the weirdness, the cliched desire to shock the bourgeois (which ca. 2012 is well-nigh unshockable), the exhibitionism.   Stand back and what you see is a wildly successful self-made woman who went from nothing to tens of millions of dollars, perhaps hundreds, solely on the basis of her personality.   But, still:   time to act her age, methinks.   She's not this girl anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment