"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

More re Akin

Consider the possibilities:

1. If Akin is a true believer in the pro-Life cause, he will conclude, perhaps after more prayerful reflection, that he needs to get out, because winning the Senate (and ensuring that we don't get more Elena Kagans on the Supreme Court) is so important.

2. If, on the other hand, Akin is a cynical pol, he will also get out, but is waiting to see how much leverage he can muster to get the powers that be in the GOP to find him some sweet-tasting lobbying job that he can start after a well-earned vacation... say, on November 7th.

3. The worst case scenario is that Akin is a true believer... in Akin! Then, like so many narcissitic pols, he will keep believing his own bullshit as he rides his barrel of it over the Falls.

Unfortunately, #3 is looking pretty likely right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment