"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, August 13, 2012

Girl of the Day - Susan Hampshire





Another star from the great miniseries, The Forsyte Saga, and another great British actress you see once in a Masterpiece Theater presentation, then never see again.   Susan Hampshire played Fleur Forsyte Mont, the daughter of the central figure, Soames Forsyte, who is spoiled, self-centered, passionate, wild, snobby (she ends up in a libel suit because someone called her a "snob" at a party), beautiful in a 1920s flapper-thin way, and thoroughly British.   It's a great role, one that could have been played to make her hate-able, and instead makes Fleur into a pained, desirable and desiring creature, who tortures her benevolent husband, Michael Mont, and yet whom we just can't help liking.

1 comment:

  1. I've watched the 1967 "Forsyte Saga" several times (I have it on DVD) and each time I fall in love with Susan Hampshire all over again. I also recommend The Pallisers, another BBC mini-series done in the early 70s. And those with a region-free DVD player can also find many of her films/television performances on Amazon.uk. A great, beautiful, classy actress.

    ReplyDelete