"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, November 11, 2013

Birthday Today - General George S. Patton

Somewhat fittingly on Veterans Day, it is the birthday of General George S. Patton, America's greatest tank commander of World War II, who led the great rush of the Third Army across France in the summer of 1944.

We've all seen the speech of Patton from the opening of the movie Patton starring George C. Scott.   Here's the real Patton speaking in 1945:





Again, we're not the same country, are we?

***

Or, maybe we are.   It's also, ironically, Alger Hiss' birthday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment