"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Girl of the Day - Charlotte Rampling

























Charlotte Rampling plays what I think will end up being this season's villain on Dexter.   The character is a psychotherapist and author who specializes in analyzing psychopaths and, in particular, serial killers.   So far we have found out (in somewhat of a deus ex machina) that she was friends with Dexter's father, and coached him into guiding Dexter to become the serial killer that he now is (albeit only killing supposedly "bad" people).   In Sunday's episode she gave a pretty creepy speech about how psychopaths are God's gift to mankind, because they are "alpha wolves" without whome the species would not have survived.   She also gave Dexter some creepy motherly affection, petting him, and calling him "perfect."   To a serial killer whose proclivities were formed when he witnessed his own mother's gruesome murder, this kind of mothering is pretty obviously manipulative.   (I think the writing is pretty obvious too, frankly.)   She seems like a sicko to me, and it wouldn't surprise me that she has groomed serial killers besides Dexter, and may be playing some truly twisted game of pitting Dexter against another one of her "creations."

Anyway, that's my prediction for the season, which is only two episodes along.   Rampling, by the way, is 67.   Once upon a time she was model who looked like this:




No comments:

Post a Comment