"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

One More Thing Re SSM

Same sex marriage isn't something that I care that much about.   I tend to think that America is decadent in so many ways that one more thing isn't that big a deal to me.   I also tend to be pretty libertarian and generally don't much care what people do in their personal lives, although I also don't like to be called a bigot if I have the opinion that what you do is gross or morally wrong.   I don't want to make it illegal and I don't want to discriminate against you because of it, I just don't want to be called names if I don't applaud you for doing it.   That goes whether your gay or straight.   For instance, I suspect that I would have a significantly greater moral disapproval toward either (a) a man who impregnates a woman and then abandons her to raise their child as a single parent; or (b) a man who cheats on his wife and divorces her to marry another woman; than I would (c) two gay men living together in a committed relationship they choose to call "marriage."  

That being said,one aspect of the whole argument over SSM that irks me is the way our culture tends to be swayed by the fact that young Americans seem to be in favor of gay marriage.   We've seen poll after poll showing that young Americans think gay marriage is A-OK.  

Well, frankly, who gives a crap what the least responsible segment of the population thinks?   Does anyone really want college-age kids and twenty-somethings giving you advice about fundamental questions of organizing a civilization?  

Beyond that, it's been my experience personally and in my observations of others that people tend to grow more conservative on social and economic issues as they get older and, dare I say it, wiser.  

Young people who are radical today will feel differently in a decade when they have a job, a paycheck, a tax accountant, a 401k, a mortgage, a home equity line, a car loan, a wife, kids, a dog, a neighborhood school, etc.   So why act like what they think now when they are at their most  conformist moment in their lives, where they really really really care what their peer groups on Facebook think of them, matters so much?  



No comments:

Post a Comment