"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

2016

I hate thinking about the 2016 Presidential election this early.   There has to be something other than politics in life, and there ought to be something other than national politics in politics.   So much that is important will happen on the local level long before we get to 2016.

That being said, here are some facts I think are interesting:

Rand Paul.   50.

Marco Rubio.  41.

Ted Cruz.   43.

Bobby Jindal.   41.

Paul Ryan.   43.

Scott Walker.   45.

Nikki Haley.  41.

Kelly Ayotte.   44.

Now look at this list:

Hillary Clinton.  65.

Joe Biden.  70.

John Kerry.  69.

Who are the young, intellectually-gifted, experienced, forceful leaders in the Democratic Party?   I can't name any.   The Obama Administration has been particularly horrible in terms of creating new superstars in its own party.   My theory is that Obama himself simply can't brook anyone else in his party getting any attention, and sucks up all the energy and money and air.  

Will it matter?   Maybe not.   But if the choice is between first Hispanic President (Cruz or Rubio) and first woman President (Clinton), and the "diversity" vote splits, youth might just be the trump card.

No comments:

Post a Comment