"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, May 23, 2011

"Don't You Know Who I Am?"

Supposedly the head of the International Monetary Fund/rapist, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, said this to the maid at the Sofitel in New York as he attempted to sodomize her.   Two things:

1.  I have stayed many times at the Sofitel on business.   It is hard to imagine a more genteel hotel.   The staff there is tremendous, very professional, and very nice.   The hotel is beautiful, even the cheaper rooms, where I stay.   I imagine the $3000 a night suite this Euro-bureaucrat was in was truly marvelous.   It's simply hard to imagine this sort of thing happening there.

2.  Could anyone invent something that more precisely captures the mindset of the Western elites who claim to be uniquely qualified to govern us?   I mean, you can't write this stuff.   "Don't you know who I am?" said by a powerful man as he attempts to rape a maid.   Man, do I hope he goes to jail and has some cell-block boss tell him "Don't you know who I am?"

Mark Steyn has a great column up about Strauss-Kahn and the elites in America and Europe who want to run everything and think they are the new aristocracy:
The arrest of a mediocre international civil servant in the first-class cabin of his jet isn't just a sex story: It's a glimpse of the widening gulf between the government class and their subjects in a post-prosperity West. Neither Geithner nor Strauss-Kahn have ever created a dime of wealth in their lives. They have devoted their careers to "public service," and thus are in the happy position of rarely if ever having to write a personal check. At the Sofitel in New York, DSK was in a $3,000-per-night suite. Was the IMF picking up the tab? If so, you the plucky U.S. taxpayer paid around 550 bucks of that...
Read the whole thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment