"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Smile of the Day - Epic Fail Version

Has there been a President who fell farther faster than Barack Obama did this past year, at least in terms of the distance between expectations (messianic) and performance (incompetent)?   On the one hand, I hope that he does even worse in 2011, because we need to get him out of there in 2012 -- the President of the United States is simply too important an institution to have it ruined by the whiny amateurishness of Mr. Obama.   On the other hand, the President of the United States is simply too important an institution.... it's a very dangerous world (a nuclearizing Iran, a nuclear North Korea, an increasingly belligerant, wealthy and nuclear China, a nuclear Pakistan that could disintegrate into barbarism and jihadism), and we need Obama to do well.  

Either way, and regardless of whether we get rid of him in 2012, I am afraid we will be seeing this mug for the rest of our lives, just like we see Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.   And, of course, we'll be hearing their voices, like the soundtrack in the seventh circle of Hell.  


No comments:

Post a Comment