"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Case Closed

Medicare's chief actuary testified before Congress today.   With a Republican Congress, expect to hear testimony like this -- dry facts that are devastating to Obamacare's basic premises -- much more often:



McCLINTOCK: “True or false: The two principle promises that were made in support of Obamacare were one, that it would hold costs down. True or false?”
FOSTER: “I would say false, more so than true.”
McCLINTOCK: “The other promise…was the promise that if you like your plan, you can keep it. True or false?”
FOSTER: “Not true in all cases.”
As they say, case closed.   If these two pieces of reality had been widely known prior to its passage, Obamacare would never have seen the light of day.   Now that they are known, they justify immediate repeal.  It's a shame that there is no principle I am aware of in the law that permits courts to void laws ab initio that were enacted based on fraudulent premises.   Probably would be a step too far toward rule by unelected courts, but still.... I guess we'll just have to do our work in 2012.  

No comments:

Post a Comment