"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

World Series Tonight!

Okay, so it's nearly November.  But this should be a great World Series, because it's got a great pitching matchup that we might get to see two or maybe even three times:  Tim Lincecum of the Giants against Cliff Lee of the Rangers.  

Lincecum aka "The Freak" looks like a high school kid and throws like a circus contortionist, but his record through the first three-and-a-half years of his young career is ridiculous: 56-27 with a 3.04 ERA and 907 strikeouts in 811 innings.   His appearance is punk, but he gets people out the old-fashioned way, with nasty, nasty stuff.  



Cliff Lee, on the other hand, is one of the most interesting pitchers I've ever watched.  He gets people out more with his mind than his arm, moving the ball around, changing speeds, getting the hitters guessing wrong.  It's like watching a higher order of intelligence on the mound.   And, perhaps the coolest thing, as good as Lee is during the regular season, he obviously turns it up several notches in the postseason.  Against what logically are the best teams -- the teams that make the playoffs -- his postseason record, 7-0 with a 1.26 ERA, is surreal.



Anyway, this is must-see baseball.   Enjoy!  I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment