"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Girl Saturday - Jean Arthur

Jean Arthur, one of my favorite actresses ever, was the love interest in three of the great Capra movies of the 1930s, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, You Can't Take it With You, and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.  In the first, she was opposite Gary Cooper; in the next two opposite Jimmy Stewart.   I always thought she, almost more than the male stars, exuded the fundamental decency that made Capra, well, Capra:


As an extra, added bonus, here's the great restaurant scene from You Can't Take it With You:


No comments:

Post a Comment