"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, October 25, 2010

Looking Forward to the World Series

Every year I hope for a Cardinals World Series.  When I was five, I saw my first Cardinals game in October 1964 when the Cardinals beat the Yankees in the World Series.   When I was eight, the Cardinals won again in seven games over the Red Sox.  Then, in 1968, I listened to KMOX radio as Jack Buck and Harry Caray called the Cards as they romped to their second straight pennant behind Bob Gibson's 1.12 ERA.  I would listen to Gibson's games on the radio and they would nearly always be over before I fell asleep... by 9:00 or 9:30, because Gibson would throw a three-hit or four-hit shutout that would last two hours or less.   The Cards lost the Series that year, but Gibson threw what is arguably the greatest World Series game by a pitcher ever -- yes, even better than Don Larsen's no-hitter -- when he struck out 17 Detroit Tigers in a Game One shutout. 

The Cards weren't in the playoffs this year.   It was a weird year.   When a team with Albert Pujols, Matt Holliday, Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright -- four of the top dozen or so players in baseball, in my estimation -- also plays a Pedro Feliz down the stretch at third base, there's something wrong with the team's makeup.   On the other hand, any year in which this man -- The Man -- turns ninety, ought to count as a good year in my book:


November 21, 1920 was a very blessed day in Donora, PA.  

Anyway, Gibson made me a fan of great World Series pitching.  So I am really really looking forward to a Cliff Lee versus Tim Lincecum matchup in Game One of the World Series on Wednesday between the Giants and Rangers.   The casual fan might like the long ball; I want to see a 1-0 or 2-1 game where those two matchup over eight or nine innings of nail-biting baseball.  

No comments:

Post a Comment