"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What's the Bigger Scandal II

Yesterday I asked whether the bigger scandal was IRS targeting conservatives or the simple fact that the Regular Guy (and regular guys like me) have to work until May or so just to pay protection money (read: income taxes) to the federal government.

Here's another example of the everyday scandal that is our government: 

The IRS spent over 4 million taxpayer dollars on a conference in 2010, CNN reported Tuesday evening. The actual amount wasted is unknown because the IRS was not required to keep its receipts, something that they require taxpayers to do.
 


$4 million dollars.

Some poor schlub out there works his whole life making $50,000 a year and pays maybe $5k a year in income tax (probably less actually).   If he works 40 years, he pays maybe $200,000 in income tax.   So we're taking all of the taxes paid by 20 hard-working American citizens for their whole lives and we're blowing it on a party?   For people who, with government benefits and government salaries and government job security, lead much cushier lives to begin with?

And no one in DC thought that this was... the word is:  immoral.

Atlas.   Shrugging.   Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment