"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Birthday Today - Sir Paul McCartney

The world falls into two camps for the most part.   Not right and left or free and communist or Christian or Islamic.   No, the two camps I'm talking about are:  Stones people or Beatles people.  

Stones people like their rock and roll rougher, messier, and more tied to the blues, country, and the roots of rock in American folk music.   Beatles people like their rock and roll to be tied more to the pop music scene, more melodic, more show-tuney.  

The Beatles were boys your daughters might bring home home to supper with only a mild worry that you might not like them; the Stones were young men you prayed your daughters would stay away from.  

With the Beatles you gave your girls a word of caution; with the Stones, you went to the safe and got your gun.

Anyway, we're Stones people in our house.   But it's Paul McCartney's 71st birthday, so I thought I'd feature one of his songs that was almost a real rocker (but not quite):





71!  Tempus fugit and then some.  

No comments:

Post a Comment