"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, June 6, 2011

And the World Rolls On Inexorably...

While we were preoccupied with Weinergate, here's some stories that we missed:

1. Scientists Trap Anti-Matter for 16 Minutes.   The ephemera of politics dissipates like mist.   Even geopolitical struggles last for years, or a generation or two.   The Cold War was an episode in human history, just as human history is only a brief moment in the history of the planet.   What may matter in the long run (the very long run) is the ability of human beings to understand their world.   Politics dissipates, but science builds upon itself.   Do we know more now about how to govern ourselves than we knew fifty years ago.   Perhaps less.   But our knowledge of the universe through physics primarily has increased exponentially.   I'm certainly in no position to comment intelligently on what it means to "trap" anti-matter as they've done at the CERN accelerator.   But.   It.   Certainly.   Sounds.   Cool. 

2. Iran Is Within Two Months Of Having Enough Enriched Uranium For A Bomb.    Not good.  To say the least.

3. Rick Santorum Declares His Candidacy For President.  An interesting guy.   A Catholic father of eight who was a rising star before losing his Senate seat in 2006 (an awful year for Republicans).   I think he could be a dark horse.   He's the real deal, especially on pro-Life issues.   Here's an article about him from National Review that bears reading.   I think I could vote for him and I hope I have the chance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment