"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Liberal Foreign Policy Distilled

Thomas Sowell distils Obama's Libya policy of doing-just-enough-not-to-succeed-but-to-appear-to-be-doing-enough-to-satisfy-the-liberal-press -- and, by implication, the cover-your-ass-who-cares-about-national-interests foreign policy of liberals generally -- into a perfect metaphor here:
You don’t just walk up to the local bully and slap him across the face. If you are determined to confront him, then you try to knock the living daylights out of him. Otherwise, you are better off leaving him alone.
Anyone who grew up in my old neighborhood in Harlem could have told you that. But Barack Obama didn’t grow up in my old neighborhood. He had a much more genteel upbringing, including a fancy private school, in Hawaii.
Ouch.   Will anybody in the mainstream press start noticing that Obama in his first term will likely permit Iran to go nuclear, watch Afghanistan turn into a mini-Pakistan with a resurgent Taliban, watch and even help Egypt go Islamist while undermining a long-time ally in Mubarek, and, now, will suffer what can only be seen as a huge defeat for American prestige if Qaddafi remains in power in Libya?  Will anybody start noticing that the Commander-in-Chief has no clothes?

No comments:

Post a Comment