"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, April 11, 2011

Girl Monday - The Violin Girl from Treme

One of our favorite shows is set to premiere its second season on April 24th on HBO, Treme, by the creators of The Wire.  Treme is set in New Orleans post-Katrina, and basically focuses on the music world and the poor black inner city community surrounding it.   It's a great show, with a lot of veterans of The Wire.   One of the recurring characters is a young jazz violinist trying to make it as a street entertainer.   She's played by Lucia Micarelli, who is herself a concert violinist.  


Here's a great scene from the show, where the lead character, a broken-down trombone player, sings "I Don't Stand a Chance With You" with accompaniment by the girl violinist in the street:

No comments:

Post a Comment