"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, July 1, 2011

I Can't Resist


So Mark Halperin called Obama a "dick" on an unwatched and unwatchable morning MSNBC program.   And he gets suspended and is forced (in a Stalinist show-trial moment) to apologize?   But, meanwhile, stars in movies and TV programs likely owned by the same media conglomerate have for years called Republicans fascists and Nazis and imagined grisly deaths for George W. Bush or Dick Cheney, and that's all OK?  But calling Obama a "dick," which is mild on the average middle-school playground, is beyond the pale?   Go figure.  

Frankly, I think "dick" is both lame and tame.   I'd have gone all polysyllabic on the dude.

Here's the clip, in case you don't know what I'm talking about:

No comments:

Post a Comment