"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Girl of the Day - Jessica Chastain


The Regular Wife and I saw The Debt on Sunday.   It's a very good movie that might have been a great movie -- the ending when a sixty-ish Helen Mirren goes to Kiev to murder a ninety-ish Nazi war criminal living anonymously there went a little bit off the tracks (the movie became a marginally plausible thriller rather than the morality tale about good and evil it tried to be).   But the best thing in the movie (other than Mirren, who is always wonderful) was the performance of Jessica Chastain as Mirren's younger self, a 25 year-old Mossad agent who has to seek gynecological care from the Nazi "Surgeon of Birkenau" in order to entrap him and kidnap him.

Anyway, Chastain is this year's "It Girl" apparently, and I'd look forward to seeing what she's doing next.

No comments:

Post a Comment