"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Despair


It looks like Adam Wainwright of the Cardinals is going to have season-ending Tommy John surgery.  It's hard to overstate how good Wainwright has been for the Cardinals -- 20 wins, 213 Ks in 230 innings, and a 2.42 ERA last year -- but it's also hard to deny that savvy Cardinals fans must have known this was coming.   You can't throw breaking stuff like Wainwright's for too long before your elbow gives out.... the human body just wasn't made for that kind of torque.  

Sad.  You basically are going to try to replace a Cy Young-caliber starter with your sixth best starter -- probably Lance Lynn who pitched in AAA-ball last year.

UPDATE:

It's official.  Wainwright is out for the year and will have Tommy John surgery.  

No comments:

Post a Comment